Internet Acceptable Use Agreement
Education reEnvisioned BOCES encourages the responsible use of computers; computer networks, including the Internet; and other electronic resources in support of the mission and goals of the Education reEnvisioned BOCES and its schools.
Because the Internet is an unregulated, worldwide vehicle for communication, information available to staff and students is impossible to control. Therefore, the Education reEnvisioned BOCES adopted this policy governing the voluntary use of electronic resources and the Internet in order to provide guidance to individuals and groups obtaining access to these resources on Education reEnvisioned BOCES-owned equipment or through Education reEnvisioned BOCES-affiliated organizations.
Education reEnvisioned BOCES Rights and Responsibilities
It is the policy of Education reEnvisioned BOCES to maintain an environment that promotes ethical and responsible conduct in all online network activities by staff and students. It shall be a violation of this policy for any employee, student, or other individual to engage in any activity that does not conform to the established purpose and general rules and policies of the network. Within this general policy, Education reEnvisioned BOCES recognizes its legal and ethical obligation to protect the well- being of students in its charge. To this end, Education reEnvisioned BOCES retains the following rights and recognizes the following obligations:
- To log network use and to monitor fileserver space utilization by users, and assume no responsibility or liability for files deleted due to violation of fileserver space allotments.
- To remove a user account on the network.
- To monitor the use of online activities. This may include real-time monitoring of network activity and/or maintaining a log of Internet activity for later review.
- To provide internal and external controls as appropriate and feasible. Such controls shall include the right to determine who will have access to Education reEnvisioned BOCES-owned equipment and, specifically, to exclude those who do not abide by Education reEnvisioned BOCES' acceptable use policy or other policies governing the use of school facilities, equipment, and materials. Education reEnvisioned BOCES reserves the right to restrict online destinations through software or other means.
- To provide guidelines and make reasonable efforts to train staff and students in acceptable use and policies governing online communications.
- Staff members who supervise students, control electronic equipment, or otherwise have occasion to observe student use of said equipment online shall make reasonable efforts to monitor the use of this equipment to assure that it conforms to the mission and goals of Education reEnvisioned BOCES.
- Staff should make reasonable efforts to become familiar with the Internet and its use so that effective monitoring, instruction, and assistance may be achieved.
- Use of the electronic equipment and media provided by Education reEnvisioned BOCES is a privilege that offers a wealth of information and resources for research. Where it is available, this resource is offered to staff, students, and other patrons at no cost. In order to maintain the privilege, users agree to learn and comply with all of the provisions of this policy.
- Users agree to return any computer equipment should we borrow any from the school or pay for that equipment should it become lost, stolen, or broken.
- All use of the Internet must be in support of educational and research objectives consistent with the mission and objectives of Education reEnvisioned BOCES.
- Proper codes of conduct in electronic communication must be used. In news groups, giving out personal information is inappropriate. When using e-mail, extreme caution must always be taken in revealing any information of a personal nature.
- Network accounts are to be used only by the authorized owner of the account for the authorized purpose.
- All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be private property.
- Subscriptions to mailing lists and bulletin boards must be reported to the system administrator. Prior approval for such subscriptions is required for students and staff.
- Mailing list subscriptions will be monitored and maintained, and files will be deleted from the personal mail directories to avoid excessive use of file server hard-drive space.
- Exhibit exemplary behavior on the network as a representative of your school and community. Be polite!
- From time to time, Education reEnvisionedD BOCES will make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the acceptable use practice.
- Education reEnvisioned BOCES cannot be held accountable for the information that is retrieved via the network.
- Pursuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 USC 2510 et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities provided by this system for sending or receiving private or confidential electronic communications. System administrators have access to all mail and will monitor messages. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Education reEnvisioned BOCES will not be responsible for any damages you may suffer, including loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by our own negligence or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained is at your own risk.
- Education reEnvisioned BOCES makes no warranties (expressed or implied) with respect to:
- the content of any advice or information received by a user, or any costs or charges incurred as a result of seeing or accepting any information; and
- any costs, liability, or damages caused by the way the user chooses to use his or her access to the network.
- Education reEnvisioned BOCES reserves the right to change its policies and rules at any time.